In 1950, a library committee was appointed to work with a high school teacher knowledgeable in library organization. Each volunteer organization in town was asked to contribute $10 per year and the community members were asked to donate any books that they could. The local school division gave the committee the use of an unused school building for the price of heat and power, and on January 20, 1951, the public library doors were opened with 1,700 volumes on the shelves.
In 1959, the library purchased the school property for $100, where it remained until 1980, when the new Community Centre was opened. The Library moved into this new facility, where it continued to grow and expand its services.
In fall 2002 the Library moved into a shared space in the newly renovated Stavely Elementary School, where it has been able to expand and share library resources with the public and school classes alike.