Latest News for September 2023
SEPTEMBER 2023 Library News
Monday – 1:30 to 6:00 pm Wednesday – 12:00 to 6:00 pm
Tuesday – 9:00 to 5:00 pm Thursday – 1:30 to 5:00 pm
CLOSED Monday September 4th Labor Day
Stavely Municipal Library Facebook- Please “Like” us to see what is new and happening in the Library-
THE FRIENDS OF STAVELY LIBRARY SOCIETY
Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday Sept 7th @ 6pm.
For more information about our Friends Society, please “Like” us on our Facebook Page
Stavely Library Board- Next regular meeting TBA for Sept.
BOOK CLUB – Next meeting will be Thursday Sept. 7th in the library at 7:00pm. We will be discussing “The Secret Book & Scone Society by Ellery Adams; “Wine and Punishment” by Sarah Fox; “The Book Haters’ Book Club” by Gretchen Anthony; and “The Bookish Life of Nina Hill” by Abbi Waxman which were our Books about Book Clubs. Sept. selections will be books about Food which will be handed out that evening. The three selected to read this month are:
v Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen- 2007 Fantasy Fiction
v The Kitchen Front by Jennifer Ryan – 2021 Historical Fiction
v The Devine Doughnut Shop by Carolyn Brown – 2023 Contemporary Romance
If you are interested in participating, please come to our meeting to choose which book you would like to read or choose all of them! Suggestions are welcome – New members are always welcome! This club is for readers who would like to be introduced to new authors, new genres or talk about new books being published; or just to attend a casual evening of socializing with friends/neighbors!
New – Fifth Lecture of the
The Plot Thickens Garden Club Lecture Series is scheduled for September 21st 6:30 to 8:30pm. If you are you interested in gaining knowledge of plants, gardens and gardening - Come join us for a fun and interesting evening with snacks and door prizes provided. Kara Matthews from the Coutts Centre will be talking about seed collecting, cleaning and saving seeds. Also information on ways of preparing trees and shrubs, which will include planting pots in the ground for spring harvest. A donation of $5 would very much be appreciated. Please email the library or text 403-682-8880 to register.
Watch for more details on the Library Website: www.stavelylibrary.ca; Stavely Municipal Library Facebook page, and Stavely newsletter. All manner of gardeners are welcome – from pot to plot! No Library membership necessary!
Digital Literacy Clinic Class #4 “Online Privacy and Security” will be held in the Library on Monday September 18th from 2pm to 3:30pm. Please register by emailing or phoning the Library.
This class focuses on how to keep important data safe while we use our devices. Information will be provided on effective anti-virus software, differences in device security, how to back-up important information on devices, avoiding common scams, and how to maximize our online privacy.
TD SUMMER READING PROGRAM - This year’s theme was “Check This Out”. Thank you to Janice Binmore for coordinating our program this year – we had lots of fun and activities! Also, thank you to the parents for registering your children and to the children themselves for participating with such great enthusiasm!
FEATURED BOOKS OF THE MONTH
Everyone Here is Lying by Shari Lapena
- Famous in a Small Town by Viola Shipman
- Just Another Person Missing by Gillian McAllister
- The Collector by Daniel Silva
- Countdown: Extreme Measures by Lynette Eason
- Archer’s Voice by Mia Sheridan
- The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese
- The Dutch Orphan by Ellen Keith
- Dead Fall by Brad Thor
- The Bone Hacker by Kathy Reichs
- The Keeper of Hidden Books by Madeline Martin
- None of This is True by Lisa Jewell
- Tom Lake by Ann Patchett
- The Happiness Plan by Susan Mallery
- Happiness by Danielle Steel
- The Honey Bus A Memoir of Loss, Courage and A Girl Saved by Bees by Meredith May
- Three Women and a Boat by Anne Youngson
- The Last Ranger by Peter Heller
- Out of Nowhere by Sandra Brown
- The Last Ride of the Pony Express by Will Grant
- On Island Time: A Travellers Atlas: Illustrated Adventures on and Around the Islands of Washington and British Columbia
- The Lindbergh Nanny by Mariah Fredericks
- A Ghost of Caribou by Alice Henderson
- At The Coffee Shop of Curiosities by Heather Webber
- The Café at Beach End by Raeanne Thayne
- The Island Villa by Sarah Morgan
- The Little Village of Book Lovers by Nina George
- Mrs. Porter Calling by A.J. Pearce
- FEATURED DVD MOVIES
- Fast X
- 1923: A Yellowstone Origin Story
- About My Father
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3